Established in 1987, owners Rick King and Whitney Schwab started New Leaf Landscaping with the wish to provide professional, courteous, and complete landscape services to residences in the Triangle Area.
New Leaf currently operates two separate, but complementary, divisions. Although originally started as a design and installation firm, so many of our clients requested maintenance services upon completion of their landscape project that the maintenance division was created.
New Leaf Landscaping’s Design and Installation Division includes three highly qualified designers, including:
- Rick King – Rick has been doing landscape design and installation from his teen years. His interest in gardening resulted in attaining a degree in Biology from Franklin and Marshall College where he also managed the greenhouse. Now, with more than thirty years designing with New Leaf Landscaping, he has developed knowledge of what looks beautiful, “works” in the landscape, and thrives for years to come.
- Madison Hindsley – Madison joined our team in the summer of 2016 as an intern. She graduates from North Carolina State University in December 2017 with a degree in horticultural sciences, and her concentration is in landscape design. She works very closely with Rick, combining his years of experience with new design techniques and plants she learned at NCSU.
- Mary Musson – Mary graduated from NCSU with a master’s in Landscape Architecture. She’s taken numerous classes in horticulture, and she is a master gardener in Raleigh and Las Vegas. Although she has retired, she is willing to work part-time for New Leaf when the season gets busy.
The design team: Mary, Rick, and Madison
The Installation Team includes four crews headed by:
- Whitney Schwab, Installation Manager – As one of the founders of the company Whitney has accumulated countless hours in all areas of landscape installation. His ability to handle the purchase and delivery of materials, organize the work schedule, and delegate to the very capable craftsmen that make up the New Leaf Landscaping crews combine to provide our clients timely completion of their landscape projects.
Our installation projects range in scale from a simple planter to an entire site’s landscaping, including plants, irrigation, pathways, walls, terraces, fences, water features, and lighting. Please take a look at our photo gallery for a few samples.
The Maintenance Team includes five crews headed by:
- Uriel Vega, Maintenance Manager, has experience in both the installation and maintenance sides of our industry. He started working for New Leaf in 2004, and he supported New Leaf in many capacities before moving up to become the maintenance manager. Uriel is dedicated to our Durham clients.